Frequently asked questions
1. What happens if I don’t have photographic identification?
2. What do I need to take to the test session?
3. Can I book myself into a test session?
4. What does the test cost?
5. How will I receive my results?
6. What happens if I need to change my test booking?
7. What happens if I fail a test?
8. I haven’t been to school for a long time, what should I do?
9. Are there any practice questions?
Candidates who do not show photographic identification at the test venue will NOT be permitted to complete the Alternative Education Equivalency Scheme (AEES) tests on that test day.
If you do not have photographic identification, contact VETASSESS on 03 9655 4849.
On the day of the test, you must bring the following :
- MANDATORY: one form of photo identification (can include driver's licence, learner's permit, boat licence, passport, student ID card, employment ID card, proof of age card or other identification with a photograph that shows your full name)
- Candidate Voucher (sent from VETASSESS)
- stationery: pens, 2B pencils, soft eraser, sharpener
- calculator: silent, battery-operated, non-programmable scientific calculator (for use in the Mathematics and Science tests only)
- ruler (for use in the Year 12 Advanced Mathematics test only)
- bottled water (recommended)
- mobile phones with calculator functionality and CAS/graphics calculators are not permitted
- candidates are not permitted to borrow a calculator from another candidate after entering the test room
- it is your responsibility to ensure the calculator is in good working order
- we recommend you take extra batteries to the test session
- spare calculators and spare batteries will not be available at the test session
Only Defence Force Recruiting can determine if a candidate is required to complete the Alternative Education Equivalency Scheme (AEES) tests and book the candidate into a test session.
There is no cost to the candidate to complete the AEES tests at an established venue. Go to the list of test venue locations.
Candidates who complete the AEES tests at a non-established venue must pay for any venue hire and supervisor costs (if applicable).
We will report each candidate’s results back to Defence Force Recruiting. Candidates need to contact Defence Force Recruiting on 13 19 02 for these results as they will not be available through the test venue or VETASSESS.
Defence Force Recruiting will advise the candidate of their results and then advise the next steps in the process.
You have 92 days to complete a Test Attempt. You will be given two Test Attempts per subject.
If you need to reschedule the test date, VETASSESS will attempt to book you into the next available test session at the same test venue but cannot guarantee there will be another test date available during the 92 day Test Attempt period. If your testing cannot be rebooked within this 92 day Test Attempt period, you will forfeit this Test Attempt. This will count as one of your Test Attempts.
In most cases, candidates will be given one re-sit for any tests they fail. It is recommended that candidates do not attempt the test again within 3 months to allow time for more extensive study. No further re-sits are available. Candidates are not required to re-sit any tests they pass.
To help you prepare for the AEES tests, we recommend you refer to the revision and study tips.
We suggest you access reference books from your local library or consider using a tutor from within your local community. More information, including a list of reference materials, is available about preparing for the test.
Our sample questions are an example of the type of items in each test, but do not necessarily cover the full range of topics or question difficulty.
A Practice test for each test you are booked to sit will be sent from VETASSESS with the Candidate Preparation Kit. You can also download the Practice tests.